This PDF was printed by the Canadian Harm Reduction Network it is a great PDF about Safer Drug Use
Some important things to think about:
- Pick the most comfortable / sterile/ safe environment you can to use drugs. •
- Have a harm reduction Buddy. Use with people you trust.
- • Always use your own equipment (needles, pipes, bills, straws, alcohol swabs, cookers, sterile water, vitamin C powder, filters, tourniquets and ties).
- • If injecting, don’t inject half a hit and pass the needle on to someone else. • Know your drugs and your dealer. Ask questions. • Know the risks of using different drugs together.
- • When trying a new dealer, a new drug batch, or after a break from using (e.g. while in prison or in treatment), sample the drug—do half of your regular dose.
- • Know the signs of overdose and avoid taking too much at one time.
- Never pick up a used needle.
- • Practice safer sex (male or female condoms and dental dams and lube) to help avoid the exchange of blood or body fluids.
- • If you are getting a tattoo or piercing, make sure: a. the service you choose is regulated or inspected b. the needle is single-use disposable and has never been used c. all other equipment is sterile (from an autoclave)
- • Don’t share personal items such as razors, toothbrushes, tweezers, manicure or pedicure equipment.